decoration decoration decoration
decoration
leaf leaf leaf leaf leaf
decoration decoration

the things we bury

I think my house may be built over an old dump from the late 1800’s.  When Lee (my handyman) was digging up the sewer lines and tearing down the ancient barn, he dug up at least 30 old bottles.

I have been cleaning them out for the past three months.  I never realized just how difficult it is to get soil and detritus out of glass bottles until I tried to clean these.

I took a couple of the cleaned ones to an antique dealer here in town and discovered that they were from the mid-1800’s and three of them were ‘tincture” jars and one was an old spice jar.  I sold them to the dealer on the spot when she offered me $95.00 for them. of course, I gave it to Lee as he had done all the work digging them up.

But for the ones I am cleaning (or rather struggling to clean)?

I think I have found a second income!  If I can just get all the dirt out.

COMMENTS (6)
  • Kim Smyth   /   June 19, 2017., 9:34 pmReply

Welcome to your new side hustle!

• mydangblog   /   June 19, 2017., 11:10 amReply

What a treasure trove--I love old bottles! I'm so jealous that now I want to dig up my basement!

• Gail   /   June 19, 2017., 2:02 amReply

How interesting! I love old bottles. Just curious... have you ever found anything other than bottles buried?

• Suze   /   June 19, 2017., 6:21 amReply

oh heaven's...YES. We found a flower pot, a wagon wheel (a real one, wooden spokes and all), several moonshine jugs..you know, brown crockery jugs? Two hubcaps in the top layer of soil immediately in front of the barn. Three tiny (and extremely ugly) porcelain vases, a civil war medical kit complete with bottles and bandages, a couple of odd tools, a cannonball and various bullets. We also found part of an old shotgun...the stock not the barrel.

• larrypaulbrown   /   June 18, 2017., 1:33 pmReply

Thanks, Suze. Scouring old farm dumps collecting bottles was big money business when I was younger. Appreciate the trip down memory lane.

• Suze   /   June 18, 2017., 4:04 pmReply

I returned 46 nehi grape pop bottles for the refund. can't believe they still give refunds for old bottles at this grocery...but they do!